Thursday, October 11, 2007

Maturing in the Lord

Following last Sunday's sermon on keeping covenants, God's reminding me of little promises I've made to Him and others that I've forgotten! God is good. He puts His Spirit of truth in us to help us obey Him.

Just wanna share this thought on maturity and maturing in the Lord:
"
The marks of maturity? Self-sustaining in spiritual devotions. Wise in human relationships. Humble and serving. Comfortable and functional in the everyday world where people of faith can be in short supply. Substantial in conversation; prudent in acquisition; respectful in conflict; faithful in commitments."

These marks of maturity are so lacking in me at times. I yearn to see spiritual fruit. Yet I'm reminded in John 15 that it's back to the basics, to the Cross.

"
I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." John 15:5

It's horrible to be hated without reason. My pride and self-righteousness probably justifies the anger within me. But Christ suffered the same, and He pleaded they be forgiven 'cos they do not know what they are doing. I would've turned my face away from opposition, let alone hatred. The grace of the Lord is amazing. And He's extended it to me that I may extend it to others.

No comments: